Sunday 31 March 2013

Cooking for the flat

Another Jewish favorite for a holiday called Purim that passed in March, is called Hamentashen. These are triangular cookies that have jam filled centers. Here is a little background on these cookies.

"Hamantash is also known as hamentasch, homentash, homentasch, or even (h)umentash. The name "hamantash" (Yiddish: המן־טאַש), is commonly known as a reference to Haman, the villain of Purim, as described in the Book of Esther. The pastries are supposed to symbolize the defeated enemy of the Jewish people, and thus resemble the "ears of Haman".[3] The word taschmeans "pouch" or "pocket" in Germanic languages, and thus the reference may instead be to "Haman's pockets", symbolizing the money which Haman offered to Ahasuerus in exchange for permission to destroy the Jews. “Naked Archaeologist” documentarianSimcha Jacobovici has shown the resemblance of hamantaschen to dice from the ancient Babylonian Royal Game of Ur, thus suggesting that the pastries are meant to symbolize the pyramidal shape of the dice cast by Haman in determining the day of destruction for the Jews.[4] Another possible source of the name is a folk etymology: the original Yiddish word מאָן־טאַשן (montashn) or German word mohntaschen, both meaning poppyseed-filled pouches,[5] was transformed to Hamantaschen, likely by association with Haman. In Israel, they are called Oznei Haman (Hebrewאוזני המן‎), Hebrew for "Haman's ears" in reference to their defeated enemy's ears. Another folk story is that Haman wore a three-cornered hat ---thus the shape."

 I made these about 1 month ago and my flatmates loved them!! Here is the recipe my mom sent over!

 I decided to make mine with strawberry jam, because they are my favorite!
They can be filled with whatever jam you like. My mom also likes to make them with chocolate chips in the middle! (But I didn't have any at the time) Here is them before they went in the oven and after!


When I moved into my flat I got very close with one of my flatmates called Phil. He didn't really know how to cook and by that I mean he only really ever ate frozen ready meals. I told him that if he bought food I would cook for him. And that is exactly what I did. One dish that I introduced him to was eggplant parmesan. It is a dish I taught myself entirely from scratch!


What you will need
2 Eggplants
Vegetable oil
Cheese (any kind will do)
Flour
2 bottles of tomato sauce
1 Egg

How To
1. Peel and cut the eggplants into circles. 
2. Fill a pot about 1/3 of the way with oil
3. While you wait for the oil to heat up slice the cheese (unless you already have cheese slices) I used cheese I picked up in Amsterdam. It was pesto cheese and might I add quite delicious! 
4. Beat the egg in a bowl and put flour into a container with a lid
5. Dip each slice of eggplant into the egg and put in the container of flour. (Usually three at a time)
6. When these are done start to fry your eggplant in the oil.
7. Once these are all fried start to layer in a baking pan
8. The first layer is eggplant, the next sauce, the next cheese and repeat until the top layer is eggplant. (about three layers)
9. Top the eggplant with sauce and put in the oven 350ºF for 10 minuets
10. Cut into squares and enjoy

Happy Eating!
-Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment