Thursday 7 March 2013

Piles and Piles of Pancakes!

In my flat here at Roehampton the kitchen is where you can most likely find anyone of my flatmates. We have been teaching each other favorite recipes and sharing memories over the different meals we eat at various times of the day or night. A big difference between America and the UK are Pancakes! I had no idea that pancakes here meant crepe like, flat, flaky, fill with what you like pancakes. I have only ever grown up knowing light, fluffy, buttery breakfast pancakes. So I decided I needed to treat them all to one of my favorite Sunday breakfasts from home. There is only one recipe that I have ever used, and that recipe comes from Mrs. Betty Crocker.


The only thing I have changed in the recipe is buttermilk to skimmed milk. They turn out exactly the same, with less calories of course! Now although these pancakes turn out to be delicious, Mrs. Crocker gives the reader no explanation on how to serve this breakfast treat. Here is what I like to do:

Keeping your pancakes hot
1 Medium sized plate
about 12 Inches of Tin Foil
When the first pancake is put onto the plate immediately cover with foil.
Do the same for the remaining pancakes and add foil if needed.
This will keep your pancakes hot and ready to serve.

Of course Mrs. Crocker does have a few of her own toppings and recipes to jazz up her original pancakes, but I would like to share with you my personal favorite. I am a chocolate lover, who isn't really! And what better than having some chocolate for breakfast right? When my mom makes pancakes (on the rare occasion) she never forgets to put chocolate chips in at least half the batch for my brother and I. So adding a few chocolate chips into the batter once it is in the pan is a good tip, if you want some chocolate chip pancakes. My other favorite to add on top of my pancakes is sauteed apples. These are quite simple.

Sauteed Apples
1 Apple (Any type)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Cutting board
knife

1. Chop the apple into fours, and then again and again until the slices are thin and abundant.
2. In a warm, small pot add the apples.
3. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon on top of the apples and cover the pot.
4. The apples should start to bubble a little, mix them around at this stage,
5. Do not let the apples brown, take off the heat when they are flimsy but still white.
6. Place in a pile in the middle of your stack of pancakes and enjoy

Here's how mine came out the last time I made them!
Happy Eating!
- Molly



1 comment:

  1. I love your idea of doing a blog on instagram and food as it's so popular at the moment. Your pancakes look really tasty, think I'll be trying your recipe next time I make some :)

    ReplyDelete