Sunday 31 March 2013

Passover.. Well sort of

So this year I don't get to celebrate Passover with my family, but I tried to do the best I could while I was here. My Mom sent my friend Michelle, who visited last week, with a box of Matzah and Matzah ball mix! So today with breakfast I had a piece of Matzah, a basil/mushroom omelette, and some veggie sausage. To give a little background on Passover I've consulted Wikipedia.

"When the Pharaoh freed the Israelites, it is said that they left in such a hurry that they could not wait for bread dough to rise (leaven). In commemoration, for the duration of Passover no leavened bread is eaten, for which reason it is called "The Festival of the Unleavened Bread".[6] Thus Matzo (flat unleavened bread) is eaten during Passover and it is a symbol of the holiday." 


Matzah Ball Soup
So to make these I used a box mix, instead of the original recipe I usually make with my mom.
Here is what the box of mix gives:

You will need
Small Bowl
2 Eggs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2  quarts cold water
4 quart pot 

Mix
In a small bowl, blend 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons of veggie oil
Add contents of one packet and stir with fork until evenly mixed
Place bowl in refrigerator for 15 mins
In a 4 quart pot, bring to a boil 2 1/2 quarts of water and 2 teaspoons salt if desired. (instead I made a broth and cooked the Matzah balls in that for flavor)
Wet hands and form batter into balls approximatley 1 inch in diameter.

Boil
Drop into boiling water; cover tightly; reduce hear and simmer for 20 minuets



Here they are finished in some soup! This is one of my favorite holidays and I desperately miss my moms cooking this week, but she did promise to make me my favorites when I am home in the states! 
Happy Eating
-Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment